Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ur Kewl Lolz




It has been many years since the first "LOL" was used in in the world and now, TONS and TONS of little abbreviated sentences have taken over our English language. In the beginning, it was a cool, new way to send a message quicker, but now it has become old and overused. I have to be honest, however, because occasionally I will use "LOL," but I use it differently by saying, "looooooooooool." You can basically make the slang your own, but it really isn't necessary. It is like we have created another language and it is scary! For starters, when a language takes over another that usually results in a decrease of the language previously used. What is that? The use of our English language is decreasing? ...


According to Merriam-Webster.com, there are roughly 1 million words in the English language, but it is difficult to actually estimate a real number because of the use and disuse of words in our vocabulary. It is true that most of our language is barely used anymore due to shifts in culture and whatnot. If you think about it, who does say, "Abash, eurhythmic, and alsoran" anymore? Not a lot of people, I'm sure. I mean, heck. My freakin' Google Chrome spell check doesn't even understand that eurhythmic and alsoran are correctly spelled words. For your information, Spell check, those words were words of the day on dictionay.com! HA.




I think using some slang is alright because it gives speech a little moderation, but U, Plz, Thnx...really? Is it really that hard to type, "You," "Please," and "Thanks?" To be honest, the slang versions aren't even words...they are kind of just sounds that don't have too much of a meaning to them. If you think logically on this one, they are not words. Yeah, we know what they actually mean, but come on. Th-n-x? What is that???? It looks like an ingredient on a nutrition label or something on a chemistry test -- it doesn't make any sense. 

It has come to the point where people are actually using slang in professional and academic settings. What makes it reasonable to write, "LOL" in a research paper on Moby Dick? You will probably be marked off for incorrect grammar because that is and never will be something you will see in the dictionary anytime soon or ever. Yes, being an English major has made me become very frigid towards all the slang, but I don't see why it is hard to type like we have always been! I love typing out full words because it looks so nice and complete. I'm guessing I am never going to get through to anyone with talk like that...

LIKE OMG!!!! I LUV WURDS! ENG IZ SOOOOOOOOOOO KEWL! LOL!

Just. No. 

Compare THAT to this? Yeah, there is a noticeable difference between the two "dialects."  Can we all PLEASE write like normal people??? If we all said, "Lol," instead of laughing, then wouldn't that be a bit odd? 

"AND THEN...HE FARTED!" 
-Everyone lifts their heads up to "LAWL" together in unison- 
"LOLLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOL!"

















PLEASE! NOT THAT! NO!

I mean, I may already do that when I laugh, but that's different. I am just weird, but if EVERYONE did this? It would be disturbing.

So, lets communicate like real people? Cool beans.

-Tiffany

*Pictures from Google Images*
"Help." Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 24 Jan. 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment